School History

Nechells National School opened in 1859 with accommodation for 475 boys and a teacher’s house was attached. A department for girls opened in 1860 and was run by the boy’s Head Master’s wife. In 1865 an infants department also opened. It was reorganised as a temporary measure c.1933 into two departments for senior mixed and junior and infant children. The school was damaged by enemy action during WW2 in 1940. The premises were repaired by 1950. It became a controlled school in 1950. The Senior Mixed Department closed in 1953 and the school became a Junior Mixed and Infants School.

When the school was opened in 1859 by the Church of England, it was to serve the people of the community. The original school was linked to St.clement’s Church which no longer exists, although you can see what is left of the building on Stuart Street. As there is no local church, St.Clement’s has strong links with Aston Parish Church, Ss Peter and Paul.

The school was originally located on High Park Street- now the site of Wing Yip, but moved to it’s current location on Butlin Street in 1970. It has undergone many renovations and extensions in it’s desire to provide the very best provision it can and in its service of the community.